This is your quick source to find out happenings in the world of mixed martial arts. This blog will provide up to date info, news and notes as it happens.

Friday, February 8, 2008

Tim Sylvia Says Move to M-1 Global Possible

Former UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia, riled by the fact that UFC newcomer and former World Wrestling Enterainment performer Brock Lesnar earned a bigger base salary than he did at this past weekend’s UFC 81 event, is hinting he may depart the UFC after his next fight.

Sylvia, who looked solid in a loss to Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira for the UFC’s interim heavyweight title this past Saturday, recently left a posting on his official website forum at tim-sylvia.com hinting that M-1 Global could be his next home.

M-1 Global is run by Monte Cox, Sylvia’s agent.

“I have one fight left on my contract,” Sylvia wrote (and cleaned up for publication). “I want to stay with the UFC, but I am going to go were the money is. Right now Brock is making more money than me. That has to change. I have a better name than him, and I am a better fighter than him."

“In case you didn’t know, my manager runs (M-1 Global), so I have a pretty good in, so we will see what happens in the next few months,” Sylvia wrote.

Sylvia has made no secret of what he perceives to be a lack of respect from UFC officials. Back in May he told NBCSports.com, “I’m used to the UFC kicking me around. It’s happened since the beginning, and it’s never stopped."

M-1 Global signed Fedor Emelianenko back in October to a long term deal and has been looking for a true heavyweight for him to compete against. Sylvia could be that guy that gets the heavyweight division up and running.

He has a valid point but is absolutely crazy to think that he's got a better name than Brock Lesnar. If you polled 100 different people on the street, I would bet that at least 50 of them heard of Brock Lesnar yet probably 10 people know Tim Sylvia. Look, the guy has never turned down a fight, has fought injured, and is now one of many to bash the UFC's treatment to fighters but losing Tim Sylvia is not the end of the world. The heavyweight division needs him, but will continue on fine without him.

No comments: